Meatheads is a chain of fast-casual burger restaurants throughout the Chicagoland area. Each month, it recognizes a student-athlete in the area surrounding each location for his or her accomplishments on and off the field.
1. How do you exemplify Meatheads’ values of determination, hustle and hard work?
Whenever I play, I always try to give my team 100 percent, and I try to lead with a positive attitude. It’s important to lead mentally, but also be a physical leader on the court and play hard.
2. What were your greatest athletic and academic achievements over the last month?
Over winter break, I made the All-Tournament Team at the Washington Team Works Invite.
3. Is there a teammate, coach, faculty or family member you’d credit most with your athletic and academic successes?
My AAU coach, Kenny Bilger, has taught me everything I know about basketball, and I wouldn’t be half the player I am without him. Also my teammate, Zsayla Brummett — I’ve been playing with her for as long as I can remember. She always pushes me to be my best. And of course, my mom and grandparents — they have always been so supportive of me and pushed me to be the best person I can in the classroom and on the court.
4. Where are you going to college, or where do you want to go? Do you plan on playing a sport there?
I am going to play college basketball, but I am still deciding between a few different schools.
5. Who is your favorite athlete playing today, collegiate or professional?
Dirk Nowitzki. Whenever I watch him, it feels like he can’t miss.
6. What’s on your iPod right now?
A lot of Miley Cyrus, Ed Sheeran, Mat Kearney — and NSYNC, because they are the best boy band of all time.
7. What’s the best movie or television show you’ve seen recently?
Frozen. It’s the cutest kids movie ever.
8. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself teaching fourth grade, having a family and living somewhere close to Champaign.
9. What is your favorite motivational quote?
Isaiah 41:10: “Fear not, for I am with you: do not be dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”