The SouthtownStar newspaper debuted Nov. 18, 2007, after the merger of the Daily Southtown and the Star Newspapers.
The Daily Southtown began as the Englewood Economist on Sept. 11, 1906. In 1924, the paper merged with two other papers in expanding areas south and west of Englewood, and the Southtown Economist was born. In 1978, the Southtown became a daily newspaper, and in 1994 was sold to a division of Hollinger Inc.
At the time of the acquisition by the Sun-Times Co. in 1986, the Star was publishing 12 newspapers in four zones.
In 1994, American Publishing Co. and its parent, Hollinger International, purchased the Sun-Times Co., bringing The Star into a newly formed Chicago publishing group owned by Hollinger.